Monday 7 January 2008

Your Japanese word of the week is...

"otoshidama". It's a small pocket of money given to Japanese children at the start of the new year. Sound familiar?? =-)...... it's not entirely identical to Chinese red envelopes though, despite being decended from the same Chinese tradition according to Wikipedia. The envelopes are a much wider variety of colours and I've seen light blue or red and white envelopes handed out to children.

One other thing that the Japanese do at the start of the new year is "hatsumode" where they visit a temple to rid themselves of bad spirits and to pay their respects for a good year. This year, I joined the Shiramizu dojo which has their own hatsumode.

We walk from where the dojo is to a nearby temple in Satte city, which is right next to Sugito where I live. It's about a two hour walk and all 100 or so people that showed up this year wore their karate dogis......... over top at least a few layers of normal clothes. But still, it's fun to walk down one of the main roads of a big-ish city with everyone in their dogis and belts.

After going through the ritual and a short 10min practice, we headed off to the huge Asukaru Satte community centre. The same one where I played Santa just a few weeks earlier at the Shiramizu year-end training.

We had a short lunch and at 1pm, the actual practice started which, despite being pretty routine, was a touch on the rough side as it takes a bit longer than normal to work these joints back to speed after two weeks of....... non-speedy-ness.

At night, I headed off with Arakawa Sensei and his family to Richard Sensei's new house for a house warming potluck party. With his new baby, Ema!! She's wickedly cute and, at least for now, is the only mixed child I have ever seen with eyes that aren't brown. They're sort of grey-green. We always joke that Arakawa Sensei's sons and me and all the interns will have to fend off all the boys when she grows up and, if her eyes stay that colour, I think we'll have our work cut out for us.

But it was a fun night with lots of food and laughs. I don't want to always be "borrowing" pictures from Arakawa Sensei's blog so instead, you can find more pictures of the fun on his page. It is Japanese only though.....

Anyways, til next time.........

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

my sensei told me that in japan they hit a big bell 108 times to symbolize getting rid of 108 human ego's. did you get to hit the bell?


Geoffrey
P.S. i just read a road&track on the tokyo motor show did you get to sit in the mazda taiki?

Lawrence said...

......... there's one really important bell that's nowhere near where I live haha. NHK TV actually televises the ringing of that bell. But I didn't hit anything =-)

As for the motor show, I didn't sit in the Taiki. I didn't know people were allowed considering when I went, it was up on a rotating stand the whole time and no one was allowed near it. The interior is cool though, the driver and passenger sides are different colours.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Anonymous said...

Geoffrey, look at the Arakawa Sensei's blog: http://shiramizu-karate.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/

under 2007年12月30日 (日) (Sunday, 30 Dec, 2007) there was something mentioned regarding your "108 human egos" or "108 troubles" to be exact!:

108の煩悩を削除いたしますぞ!・・・そりゃムリでしょ。。。 Only if you read Japanese. Ha Ha!!

Uncle #3

Lawrence said...

Dad's right, the term isn't exactly "ego"s but it's close.....