Sunday 24 February 2008

Your Japanese word of the week is...

"kincho". It means nervous and what you might expect me to talk about is my dan (or black belt level) grading this past weekend.

But interestingly, that wasn't the most recent nerve wracking experience I've had this weekend. As a matter of fact, last night something else crazy happened. I got pulled over........... on my bike.....

See, I was feeling a bit peckish at night and was heading to the convenience store (or "convenie") for some food. By bike it takes about 5 minutes and so I didn't think much of it as I hopped on my bike to go.

Halfway there, this black and white Toyota Echo (or Platz, as it's called here) pulled up and three (3!!!!) men stepped out. I'm not sure if they're really police or just patrol or something, but they asked me to get off the bike and asked for some information. I can just imagine how odd it must've looked to have 3 guys in a car stopping one kid on a bike........

Anyway, one gentleman pointed out to me (after I pointed out to him I don't speak Japanese) that riding at night without the headlight on is dangerous.

"Oh sorry! Yes, you're right. There you go, it's on now."

While all this was happening, another one was radio-ing (is that a word??) in the serial number on the bike while the third man was checking to see if my lock had a key and if my tire was properly inflated and such. I started to wonder if I was going to get arrested for a wobbly rear tire or something........

Anyways, long story short, I didn't get a fine and the men left, with one man's last three words being, "No. Light. Dangerous." Yes, thank you.........

The weirdest part was that not one of them mentioned that not wearing a helmet is dangerous, too. Honestly, they checked the bike rather thoroughly and only left when they were convinced that it was in good working condition and, rightly I might add, were concerned for my night time safety lest I be run over by a truck. But then again, it's totally fine to bike around with no helmet?? Weird............

Regardless, back to the main point of my weekend heh.......... I did indeed go to my karate grading. In case you don't know, the grading was for my second degree black belt, otherwise known as a nidan. It took place in Urayasu city in Chiba which was about an hour and a half drive from where I am, and near Tokyo Disneyland. There were 12 of us going for the test from Shiramizu, 3 testing for their nidan (including me) while the rest went for their shodan.

I had been putting in quite a bit of self training at the dojo for the few weeks leading up to it and I'm happy to say I passed (as did everyone else from Shiramizu, regardless a few of them not smiling in the picture haha). Although, now that I think about it, having passed it only means the work gets harder since now not only are all the coloured belts looking up to me, so are all the shodan (first degree) students. The responsibility to be a role model both in karate and as a character grows so this is indeed not the end but rather, the beginning.

Still, I'm quite happy because I put in the effort and it's nice to see these things bear fruit.......

This is a picture I "borrowed" (heh) from Arakawa Sensei's blog of us after we got back to the dojo.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulation! Nidan San, (Mr. 二段). You have the honour to spend some money to get a new black belt, Ha Ha. But keep the Shodan (初段) black belt as souvenir. Actually, is there any change in the belt?

Go have a big feast to celebrate! Your deserve it after the hard work. Is Samdan (三段) close?

Dad

Lawrence said...

Thanks =).....

It's funny you mention the belt because, normally, the belts don't change as you grade from one black belt level to another. People actually almost never replace their belt, as a frayed and nearly white black belt is a sign of how long you've been a black belt.

In fact, so the story goes is that in the olden days, people used to tie their dogis up with string. As they practiced, the string got dirty and turned dark (hence a black belt). But as the string wore and frayed off, the dirty bits come off and it becomes white again, thus completing the circle.

Having said that, Arakawa Sensei gets belts for everyone who passes their shodan test as a present and he'll be getting one for me.

It'll have my name on it and some other bits and pieces. I had to pick a colour which was really difficult. I ended up going with red since orange was too common, gold is too flashy, I don't like the idea of blue or green or pink, and silver/white seems too generic. So red it is. Plus, it's the colour of the Canadian maple leaf.

As for the sandan, I doubt it'll be soon. I'm not after these ranks as a status symbol. I challenged the nidan to prove I've worked hard in my months in Japan and I won't be taking a sandan test until I'm sure that I can do as well as teach all the technical aspects I've yet to learn.

It's one thing to understand the theory, it's totally different to be able to demonstrate it.

Anonymous said...

Excellent news! Your humility indicates your real readiness to continue in your studies.

Good luck with passing on everything you've learned from the whole experience. Hard work pays off!

-Amber

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lawrence said...

It's funny you mention, there's a person visiting the dojo this week because there's another dan grading this coming sunday (in Tokyo) and I'll be working with him most of this week to help him get ready.

It's a good chance for me to spend a fair bit of time trying my hand at teaching all the stuff I've been learning these past few months, so that's quite exciting heh....

What's not exciting is yet another piece of freakin' comment spam...... is that a sign somehow that my blog is getting more readers?? I don't recall getting spam this frequently before.....

Regardless........... deleted!

Unknown said...

hahahaha... you're in Japan and still manage to get pulled over. Why would you ride without a helmet and a light in the first place anyways. tsktsk.

congrats on passing the test! How do they test you - do you just fight other people?

Lawrence said...

Well, I suppose I'm a suspicious looking person no matter where I go haha.......

As for the test- there's more to karate than just fighting, regardless of how it looks haha...

Dan grading's usually test people on 4 things.

1- Kihon (basics) & Ido kihon (moving basics), basics being punches and kicks while moving versions of them involve... well, moving haha... like stepping forward and doing a particular strike.

2- Kata (forms), which are arguably the most important part of the test. Different levels require different katas to be performed.

3- Kihon kumite (basic sparring), which are preset/predetermined move sets simulating attacking and defending. Done with a partner, there's 10 in total in Wado-Ryu.

4- Jiyu kumite (free sparring), which is..... a fight haha.... like you'd see in a tournament.

Each area has their own test and they'll run it differently. For example, in my test, I had to do two kata and two kihon kumite, but I could choose which ones to do.

There's one this weekend in Tokyo and you have to do one kata and one kihon kumite (for shodan anyway), but the judges will choose for you on the day of.

The latter is obviously more difficult since you have to prepare all the possible tested material.

And then tests for different levels of black belt or coloured belts are just expanding or reducing the tested material in each of the areas (eg- colour belt tests usually omit kihon kumite altogether).

I hope that makes sense haha.....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

a second black belt. good job gettin it. i want one so i can have my japanese name on the belt in red/gold :P. well, i guess they expect you to not fall over onto your head when you're biking, especially when its on a flat road.

Geoffrey

Lawrence said...

Well, if you really want a new belt, you can just order one heh....

Most belt makers will do embroidery for you =)...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lawrence said...

awelkjawe;oija;dskjladkgaew;orgtu;oa34w9ut;oaidjf

There's not way my blog is THIS popular haha.....

Go away spammers........ ><

karen said...

Sorry so late but CONGRATULATIONS!
:)

i laughed out loud when i heard you got pulled over on your bicycle. that's unheard of!

Lawrence said...

Thanks =)......

As for being pulled over..... there's a first time for everything heh =P