Sunday 18 May 2008

Your Japanese word of the week is...

"metabo". It's actually the shortened form of "metabolic syndrome" which, you might be able to guess from the phrase itself, was created by the Japanese though the actual problem it describes is a worldwide one.

This awful "symptom of having metabolism" is a relatively recent word applied to, basically, people who are fat. To have "metabo" is to be overweight and under-exercising though it seems apparent to few that calling it a "metabolic syndrome" makes little sense. It's not like the healthy people lack metabolism or something........ But hey, I am in Japan so I might as well roll with the punches.

And so, in an effort to combat the evils of metabolism, many companies now conduct fitness tests and my school is no exception. In fact, the government has threatened to fine companies that don't reduce their number of overweight workers.

So next Tuesday, I get to do things like sit-ups, ride the stationary bike, get my measurements taken, and all that jazz. And after a few weeks, I get a score which includes, apparently, a number indicating what age my fitness level is comparable to. So if I manage only 3 sit-ups I might end up with a score of 65, meaning I have the physical fitness of a 65 year old............. 20 is the lowest, and hence best, score.

Other changes around the school?? Summer dress code. By June 1st, all staff and students will need to change over to summer attire and, for male staff, it means short sleeve dress shirts. I'd much rather have long sleeved shirts that I just keep rolled up but really, it's not that huge a problem and I went shopping over the weekend and picked a few up.

What is a problem is that we're still required to wear ties.............. with short sleeve shirts?!? As my friend put it so descriptively, it's the "Mormon minister" look...........

Which leads to most teachers waiting til they're at their desk before putting their tie on and taking it off the instant they leave the grounds.

I'd almost rather have metabo.................... well........ maybe not heh =P.....

Also, Alan's here to visit for a week! Stay tuned to see what trouble we get ourselves into heh...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

isnt more metabolism mean your less fat?

Geoffrey

Lawrence said...

Well, technically metabolism is just all the processes that happen in the body, including digesting food and creating energy.

But if your food intake outweighs your energy output, your body stores the excess as fat.

Hence, metabolism can make you fat if you're not burning it off.

But I do agree that the term itself isn't very correct...... but hey, this country is half-way around the world heh....

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you are still in Japan! :D Nice to see you are having a great time.

Richard Mosdell said...

Kohai!

Male staff members don't have to switch to short sleeve dress shirts - no such rule.
Most do just because it's cooler!

And while I said we gaijin end up looking like Mormon missionaries with the short sleeve neck tie look, (I guess you haven't run into them here yet), I am merely passing along what others have said before ages ago. If you get unlucky, a Japanese person will tease you look like a proselytizing 'Moruman'.

But there is a rule to wear a tie to and from work, although in the summer people stretch that rule to within a few feet from their desk.

I'm really hoping we get to join the Cool Biz world before I retired in 30 revolutions.

Keep up the great blog!
R

Richard Mosdell said...

See above post. my Engrish is a sliding...

Lawrence said...

Richard- Thanks for the info hah.... I suppose I'll just stick with it since I did buy the shirts already heh.....

Sarah-!!!! It's been a while haha... I tried to email Billy a few months ago but nothing. Anyways, I'll gonna go email you right now heh...

Anonymous said...

Ummmm..... OK, I'm only an expert in behavioural medicine; I'm not an MD. But, I've never heard metabolic syndrome referred to quite that simply. That's a bit of a misnomer. Technically, it involves more than just excess weight; the idea is about increased risk for diabetes, heart disease, stroke, etc.

Here's the ATP III definition: (3 of the following abnormalities): waist circumference greater than 102 cm in men and 88 cm in women; serum triglycerides level of at least 150 mg/dL (1.69 mmol/L); high-density lipoprotein cholesterol level of less than 40 mg/dL (1.04 mmol/L) in men and 50 mg/dL (1.29 mmol/L) in women; blood pressure of at least 130/85 mm Hg; or serum glucose level of at least 110 mg/dL (6.1 mmol/L).

Here's a good article about it for anyone who's interested: Circulation. 2004;109:433-438

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/109/3/433

Just me being a nerdy PhD....

Love the blog, though.

:-)
-A

Lawrence said...

Yeah, you're right..... I should've put that in haha......

Really, I think it's a good idea. I just find the name they chose to call it rather interesting =P....

Gotta get practicin' on those sit-ups haha =P.....

Anonymous said...

Hi, want some input from a MB? (not MD though, ha ha).

Metabolic Syndrome simply means a Syndrome of Metabolic PROBLEMs (or derangement) . They actually can not piece all the abnormalities, as Amber outlined, together into one cause, but these abnormalities often go hand in hand, hence a 'syndrome'.

I am quite surprised to see so many people are interested in such A NAME, which they invented out of nothing.

Well, at least that makes us think!

-Dad

Lawrence said...

Well, see, it makes more sense if they call it a "syndrome of metabolic problems", not just "metabolic syndrome".

Either way, it seems we're all in agreement about what it is and what it causes.

I mostly just wrote it because I thought "metabo" was a fun word to say heh.....

Unknown said...

I can hardly wait to see you in a tie and short sleeved shirt, I remember your dad in that,

Anonymous said...

ha ha , that jenny is actually me, your gu che