Monday 7 July 2008

Your Japanese word of the week is...

"jun" which, in the case of the one I'm referring to, means semi- or quasi-..... or half.... or just not fully one thing. So, for example, a junkessho is a "semifinal" match in a competition.


This past Sunday was the Saitama Prefecture Wadokai Championships which saw 7 different Wadokai clubs and just over 300 competitors vying for top spot. As usual, I entered both kata and kumite but this time around, there was more on the line than just winning or losing. I had made it my personal karate goal to receive some kind of award from a tournament before my internship was officially over (despite the fact that I'm still here for another 9 months). And, seeing as my internship officially ends July 17th, this was my last shot at accomplishing the goal.

It didn't help that in my kata division run in the morning there were only 7 people. In Japan, large divisions usually see the Top 8 be awarded with certificates and the best 3 with medals. This time around, with only 7 people, I had to place 2nd or higher.

And that's how this ties in. I extremely happy to say I came in 2nd place, otherwise known as "junyuushou", or "semi-champion". Aside from just accomplishing my goal, I had begun to think I wasn't getting enough done in my time here and this was a really nice way of proving to myself that I managed to improve at least a little bit haha......

But I still have much left to do though, as my kumite ended in the first round with a 4-2 loss. Despite that, I've gradually felt more at ease with being in the ring so with time, that will come as well.

The day ended off with yet another big "congratulations on a job well done" party which was also Carl and Amy's welcome party. Lots of food, drink, and laughs was a great way to cap off a good day's effort.

And effort I'll need considering the next tournament I'm entered in is the World Wadokai Championships this Aug 21-23......... although kata only this time haha.....

Also, Amy, as it turns out, studied photography and was kind enough to spend the tournament scooting around on the floor snapping photos of everyone. She was also kind enough to send lots of me being rather unphotogenic during my kumite match......... but I've picked a few least-unphotogenic ones to put up here haha...... enjoy!



Give...


... and take...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

the bottom 2 pictures dont look like you. is it?

Geoffrey

Lawrence said...

Hahaha........ yes, I'm blue =P...

Maybe it's the mouthguard I'm wearing that puffs out my face =P...

Anonymous said...

Wow, congratulations again! I assume the top picture is the Kumite and the second is Kata. Do they have different divisions, like depending on your weight? or age? etc.

Dad

Lawrence said...

Kumite is sparring, so with gloves and an opponent.

Kata is "forms", so it's individual.

They have divisions based only on age,sex, and belt rank. So I was entered in adult male black belt kata and adult male black belt kumite.

Sometimes there are weight divisions but none of the ones I've competed in so far have had weight divisions......

Unknown said...

2nd Place!! GOOD JOB!!!

Unknown said...

2nd Place!!! GOOD JOB!!!

Lawrence said...

Thank you.

And Thank you! haha..... ;P