Thursday 18 September 2008

Your Japanese word of the week is...

"manzoku", meaning "satisfaction". And what was satisfying, you might ask?? Well, this past Monday was the 5th Annual Tobu Taikai, which involved quite a few dojos from around the eastern part of Saitama. Although, if I'm honest, some parts were satisfying while others weren't.

Like every other tournament in Japan, I entered kata and kumite. And like (almost) every other tournament in Japan, kata was in the morning and kumite was in the afternoon.

Kata was a bit unsatisfying because there were only three people entered and one of them didn't show up. So it was just a dual between me and Carl..... a sort of International Shiramizu Intern Showdown, if you will...... doubly unsatisfying was that I didn't perform my kata very well. It was mostly fine except for a move or two, but I expect better of myself. However, they still awarded me the win and I got a gold medal for it, despite what I think.......... so, yay!


Kumite was a bit of the same. With only 6 people entered (1 of them being the aforementioned no-show), I was immediately seeded to the semi-final round. There I faced off with Ueno-san, also from Shiramizu. He's also very tall (6'2" or so), which meant his arms were much longer than mine. Despite that, I only lost by one point (2-1) so that wasn't too bad.

And after that was a party with all the Shiramizu people not only to celebrate a good tournament, but various other things. So, all in all, a good weekend out =-)......

And in case you're wondering, this is indeed all of us doing the famous "Kamehameha" from Dragon Ball haha........ yeah, good times heh......

No comments: