Tuesday 7 April 2009

Part 2...

Yesterday, I went back to the Hong Kong Museum of Art since my aunt hadn't gone so I had a chance to grab my camera and take some better photos as well as read more about some of the displays there.

Despite still having lots of people riding on trains, the feel is vastly different from Tokyo...

We started the day with a walk around Wan Chai, where you'll find the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre. The interesting thing about this building is that it's actually built, like lots of Hong Kong including the airport, on "reclaimed" land (ie- filling the sea with dirt to make a new landmass) and is connected by a short bridge. When they wanted to expand the building, the government wouldn't let them fill in the area the bridge was on, since excessive reclamation would turn Victoria Harbour into a puddle. So, they planted giant metal beams into the ocean floor and are now building the entire Exhibition Centre extension on steel supports. And all the while not "filling in the ocean". Sneaky...

The Convention Centre is the low, arched building in the foreground.

After that, it was a short ferry ride across the water to Tsim Sha Tsui to the museum. Having more time to browse, I found out a bit more about some of the displays I took pictures of.

These are the museum-founder pillows I was telling you about.... they're slightly creepy but popular (despite the lack of people in the shot =P )...

As it turns out, popular isn't the right word..... more like infamous, since nobody likes him (his main job is that of a politician). And what better way than show that than to turn him into a stuff doll?? heh...

Four caricatures found in the fine art section.

A nice minimalistic, almost cartoony painting of the 8 Eccentrics of Yangzhou.

I didn't realise this the first time I went, but the coffin-bed I took a picture of is actually connected to a display on the opposite end of the exhibit. The artist commented on the environmental (and, I suppose, metaphorical) unfriendliness of coffins being one-use and designed this. Made out of an old crate, he says he can use it as a furniture for 30 years and, when he passes away, it becomes a coffin holding all his memories. Special thanks to my aunt for modelling the sofa-table-coffin-bed...

And having had dinner near the harbour, I went back to see the lights....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, am trying to catch up, but won't be able to entirely. I posted a couple of comments, but think I forgot to add my name. Forget it.

I'm glad that you're enjoying HK & getting to see everyone. Very nice for all of you.

I'm especially fond of the porcelains in the HK museum of art. Your uncle & I spent an entire afternoon in there, I think, just admiring the collection. It's fantastic.

Take care & enjoy the city and your lovely family.

-Amber

Lawrence said...

Oh you guys went? It's fantastic isn't it??

I hear you're going back right?? =P