Saturday 4 August 2007

Another day, another heatwave....

It's a bit ridiculous how humid it is here. It doesn't keep me from doing anything per se, but it's certainly annoying to be waiting for a train whilst sweat literally drips off your hands. I've resorted to waiting til the last second to leave my house so that when I get to the train station, I can quickly get onto the air conditioned haven they call train cars... and bemusedly stare at the cartoon bear telling me not to get my body stuck in the doors cuz it'll chop me in half.....

That's the thing I've noticed about Japan- they take things so seriously yet they won't hesitate to draw the cutest little animal or little boy being decapitated by heavy machinery. It almost trivializes the whole situation. On my JAL flight over, for instance, the safety introduction video was almost entertaining to watch even though they were talking about how I might die if the cabin depressurized or (the best of all of them) receive a severe concussion if improperly stowed overhead baggage were to fall on me. Watching the cartoon man get bonked by the brown rectangle almost looked fun. Well, more fun, at least, than watching Air Canada air stewardesses (which is the longest word you can type using only your left hand- did you know haha) point at the emergency exits on the plane.


Warning! You could break your arming wishing you could play in the construction zone! Hmm.... Or maybe not. It's not like I can read Japanese haha........ Actually it says "koko de asonde wa ikemasen" which probably translates into "Don't go in there" or "... in the area".
Anyway, I digress.

The heat does, however, make for rather intense training, even if it's only to look like you're working really hard when actually, you've only just bowed in heh........

The next few weeks will be fun though, since the Oban (I think that's how it's spelled?? Mariko?? haha) is coming up, which is a public holiday. Richard gets the week off and he offered to show me around Tokyo and each district. I'm really hoping some cosplay guy has dressed himself up with some black and white cardboard box that says "Fujiwara Tofu Shop" on the side when I'm at Harajuku. That would just totally make my day haha.........

But more intensity is to come since tomorrow since I'm up at the the crack of dawn (no daylight saving time in Japan either) to go watch the elementary level national competition at the Tokyo Budokan as well as train at Takagi sensei's dojo at night.

And on wednesday, I'm off.............. somewhere.......... Nagoya maybe??.......... (I should actually find out haha.......) anyways, it's a karate camp and I'll be there for two of the three days since I have to leave early because I have a job interview and work on friday.

Take some train home from some unknown part of Japan by myself?? Bring it on =P........

4 comments:

karen said...

Hi Lawrence!

It's hot in Boston tooo.
My room is small, so it gets stuffy. In the middle of the night i end up going to the other bigger room (living room) and sleeping on the couch instead.

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMl3S-V99GQ&mode=related&search=

(i don't know how its related)

Lawrence said...

Hey Karen. Good to hear you're getting on well in Boston. Have you start school yet??

Daniel- I can always count on you for randomness can't I?? hehe =P.... I doubt that movie would make it across the Pacific, which is a bit disappointing heh..... But who knows, maybe I can find some rogue movie pirate to buy a DVD copy off of =P.....

marikoteachesenglish said...

koko de wa osondewa ikemasen = you cannot play here.
a cartoon bear telling you you'll be decapitated that's awesome.
you can always count on Japan to have crazy stuff like that.