Monday 30 July 2007

Your Japanese word of the week is....

"Uso". It means "really?" in Japanese. You could say "Honto" or even do the rather popular "ehhhHHHH?!?!?", but "Uso" works fine haha........ just make sure you don't confuse it with "kuso", which means shit. Who's bright idea it was to make two such different words sound so similar, I have no idea.

But speaking of "kuso", I got rather beat up at the kumite session in last saturday's training. Years of fighting rather forgivingly and with people who are smaller than me means I'm not really ready to fight like the Japanese do. The rules that govern JKF (Japan Karatedo Federation) sparring are also different than some that I've seen in Canada, so that makes a difference, although I won't use that as an excuse.

At any rate, it was a good learning experience akin to being thrown in the deep end of the pool and then actually drowning. But I'm not one to give up. Although I did split open a blister on my foot which meant I rest all weekend because walking was a bit of a chore.

Which was fine anyway, since it was massive thundershowers all weekend. The kind of rain even Vancouver doesn't normally see. And seeing as rain in Japan is acidic, it was rather wise to not go outside.

But this week will be chock full of fun. On sunday I'm going to watch a high level tournament as well as train at Takagi sensei's dojo. Takagi sensei is Arakawa sensei's master, which should give you an idea of how big of a deal this will be........... so excitement abounds but in the mean time, I'm alternately being fried by UV and then soaked by acid rain. Clean air isn't Japan's strong suit heh........

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Acid rain is not good for you. It will melt your scalp and expose your brain. Please don't die...

I thought of you today as I watched The Simpsons Movie. It was so funny, you should see it as soon as it comes out in Japan.

Glad you're doing well my tomo-tachi. You can kick some sparring ass next time; you will be ready.

Hay-ya!

Sung-out

marikoteachesenglish said...

alan, it's tomodachi.
i'm glad you're getting your ass kicked lawrence. That's what this was all about right? Take on Japan, Japan takes on you!
I'm sad about the acid rain that's too bad..
As for the uso kuso stuff that was golden. I never thought about it but you're god damn right. haha but "uso" also means "lie". so like "uso!" = "you're lying" or "no way". vs. really. but good thing you're picking that up. Oh man you might know more Jap than me by the time you get back.. eek!

Unknown said...

no mariko, it's homodachi.

Lawrence said...

Haha......... Garson....

Alan- I won't die so long as I stay indoors haha........ so that works out quite well. Boring, but well.

Mariko- Hmm.... as least I got the usage of "uso" correct haha...

But in terms of Japanese, I'm not sure if I'd know more than you would heh. One year in a country is very different from a life time of practice =P. Not to mention I'd only be conversationally able; reading and writing (hiragana and katakana aside) you'd still be way ahead =)