Sunday 11 November 2007

Your Japanese word of the week is...

"jishin". It means earthquake and that's exactly what happened on sunday. Although I wouldn't consider earthquakes "common" in Japan, they aren't exactly once in a blue moon. The last time there was an earthquake (that I felt) was when I first arrived in Japan back in July. It was Natural Disaster Week for me since I arrived in the midst of a typhoon and the day after there was a massive earthquake. Quite the weclome =)..... the one yesterday was a smaller and happened around early evening, local time. By the time I realised that I wasn't just tired and that it really was an earthquake, it was over.

But that wasn't the highlight by a long shot. The most exciting part of the day was going to the Tokyo Motor Show with Arakawa sensei. It was just a great time to bond with he who has so graciously taken me under his wing and shown me the ropes. I probably can't even begin to decribe all the things he's gone out of the way to do for me or the doors he's opened.It's a bit difficult to describe the Tokyo Motor Show especially if the only motor show you've been to is the one in Vancouver. The Tokyo one is more like the Tokyo Motor Spectacle, with flashing lights and music, expensive displays and presentation, and massiveness that is almost difficult to comprehend. It's not cars only either, with motorcycles and trucks and automotive technology on display too. And they have things to DO as well, such as the rider's safety course for children using mini-motorcycles.

So, I've decided to present it in the form of awards (trimmed down to 6 because I realise not everyone is as manic about cars as I am haha.........

First up, the "Most Incorrect Colour" award goes to the Ferrari 612 Scaglietti- in white. As much as I like white or black coloured cars, they just never work for me on Ferraris. Red (of course) and yellow seem best because they're bright enough to show off the styling to be appreciated. White just drowns it out and black just hides it too much. The exception is, of course, a black Enzo, which is wicked.

Next, the "Most Underappreciated Car" award belongs to the Maserati Gran Turismo. I don't think many people give Maserati much thought since they had such a horrible time through the 90s, but they're back now with their MC12R race car dominating and the new Gran Turismo offering great Italian stylist flair and performance.

"Most Awesomest Detail" award goes to none other than the super-sleeper, the Audi RS6 Avant. You get a big, practical Audi wagon that has a twin-turbo V10 but it wins the award because it houses 15" ceramic composite brakes. They have to be seen in person to be believed.

"Biggest Cop-out" goes to the McLaren Mercedes SLR Roadster. Why?? Because 15 years ago, McLaren used their Formula 1 expertise and built a car that had a 627bhp V12, sat 3 people, had luggage space for a weekend trip, active aerodynamics, carbon fibre structure, 60 litre fuel tank, and is still one of the quickest accelerating and fastest cars in the world, all in a package smaller than a Boxster. This new SLR is more Mercedes than anything and McLaren was forced to develop it within the confines of Mercedes management. McLaren did their part brilliantly, but it still uses a pre-determined Mercedes engine, Mercedes gearbox, and Mercedes styling. The worst part is that the brake calipers say, in big letters, "Mercedes Benz". How sad.......

Back to the good stuff though....... "Most Important Car Of The Show" was easily the Nissan GT-R. It took nearly 20 minutes to get close enough for a clear picture and even then, it was with the camera held as high up as possible. The sheer continuous size of the crowd and the technology it packs makes is probably the most anticipated car of the year.

"Car I'd Most Like To Drive Home" would be the Ferrari F430 Scuderia. What'd you expect?? haha......... but if I had to make payments, it would be the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X. Again, what'd you expect?? haha.........

January is a 3 day modified car even known as the Tokyo Auto Salon. I'll be going to that too so there will be more awards.

Lastly, in other news, my parents are coming at the end of the week! Now I just have to remember how to speak Chinese.............

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What happened to all the car pictures on this post? =p

Unknown said...

no car pix?

haha maybe your dad can bring you some expired medicine?

Unknown said...

pet peeve of mine. people who make the canadian flag the same dimension as most other flags, rather than the 2:1 that it's supposed to be.

i want to see pictures too!!

Lawrence said...

you WANT car pictures?? haha........ I can do that too haha.....

I just figured I'd be sparing people my OCD about cars haha......

but next post, I'll edit some in =-P.

As for the med, he made a specific point to tell me they're not expired hahaha........ yet anyway

As for the flag, they're all the size same size.

Anonymous said...

haha what is the meaning of the universe? i bought karen a really good book about universe "the secret" for xmas present. lol we create the world's elites by showering english hahahaha.

i really hope karen doesnt read this
GEOFFREY

karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
karen said...

HAHAHA GEOFFREY I READ IT !!
you shouldnt post it here if you dont want me to see.
Anyways i've heard of that book. have you read it??

Lawrence, Jade brought me medicine from dad when she visited me this week too.