Sunday 10 January 2010

Your Japanese word of the week is...

"kigatsuku" 気が付く which, according to the dictionary means "notice" or "become aware of".  Although I seem to have been using a slightly different word which now makes me wonder if there's another way of saying it or people have just been nodding in agreement to avoid having to converse with the weird foreigner...

Anyway, two things I've noticed this past week:

1- Lead By Example
On Friday at karate, I had a cramp in my calf muscle a bit and was relegated to standing and commenting for the better part of the second class.  Normally when I teach, I try to be as active as possible, both for myself (as exercise) and for the students (as a model for the movements).  And normally I never have issues with students being distracted and unfocussed (aside from the really young students).

But on Friday, the teenagers in the second class were noticeably more distractable, something which I attributed to the fact that I wasn't as able to circulate to be more "among them" nor could I really demonstrate the things I was trying to explain.  Then, towards the end of the class and my muscle relaxed enough that I could start doing things again, their behaviour improved.

A robot I am not, but this really does prove to me (yet again) that I really need to keep it up within myself if I want my students to keep it up within themselves.

2- Smell & Taste
Our sense of smell and sense of taste are linked, that much we know is true.

But today I realised that, in Cantonese, the commonly used word for smell is exactly the same as the word for taste.  Of course, there are other ways of saying smell and taste but the common word can be found in both still.

Interesting.......

No comments: