Sunday 24 January 2010

Your Japanese word of the week is...

"kenshuu" 研修 which means "training".  Adding "suru" after it turns it into a verb....

Though this doesn't refer exactly to training in the exercise sense, more like the practicing of a skill.  For example, the training I did as an intern in Japan (although that does have an exercise element to it).

Another example is the practicum I'll be doing, which is another form of "training".  I'll be there, "training", from January 25th til April 16th.  And during that time, I'll be taking on Science 9, Science 10, and Biology 11.

The normal long practicum ends May 7th but for me, after April 16th sees me shift my practicum to Science World where 9 students have been accepted to take part in the "Extended Practicum Beyond the Classroom Option" (EPBCO) which allows me the chance to not only broaden my teaching skills to environments different from a traditional classroom, but also to students of all ages.  Essentially we'll be teaching Science World's special "school field trip" classes for the three weeks while we're there.  There'll be things from teaching kindergarteners about roller coaster to teaching high school students about "Grossology" (like what boogers are made of and such).

There's also two other similar programs at the Aquarium and the HR Macmilan Space Centre.

Fun fun but I'll have to put on my best while I'm on practicum so.......  here goes =P

Oh, and if you haven't heard of Science World, here's a picture of it.


No comments: