Tuesday 16 February 2010

Your Japanese word of the week is...

"kibishii" 厳しい which means "strict".  Obviously, when tied in with teaching, the context sort of explains itself.

But really, I don't think I'm that strict.  Conversely, I don't think I'm strict enough in certain aspects...  but there's the problem.  Just because the class isn't running the way I like it to be doesn't necessarily mean it's "abnormally bad". 

Teenagers are teenagers.  They're physically growing, mentally adapting, hormonally influenced, complicated creatures that deal with a multitude of expectations not only when they go between school and home, but between classes.  I suppose I should be sensitive to those things but the other part of me thinks my expectations are rather reasonable.  Like not talking when I'm talking...  that kinda stuff...

So do I keep it up based on my belief that these expectations are reasonable?  Or do I let off because they need the space?

Personally, I don't want to nor will I let off.  Why?  Because if the rope goes out too far, it'll be impossible to pull it back.  And I'd rather deal with keeping the strictness and wait til they fall into step, at which point we can all enjoy the extra freedom.

But, if you have a different philosophy on teaching, do let me know......  I'm all ears =P

No comments: