Tuesday 2 February 2010

Your Japanese word of the week is...

"mada" まだ which essentially means "still" or "not yet/yet", such as "He's not here yet".  Sometimes it's doubled up and, if you've ever watched any anime that includes fighting or persevering somehow, you'll hear them shout "mada mada" as in "I'm not finished yet".

For me, however, it's more like "I've still got a long way to go".

This week saw the actual start of my teaching during long practicum and while it wasn't disastrous (I didn't fall down, for example, nor did the classroom go up in flames), there's still a lot for me to consider, do, and improve on.

The biggest hurdle is not so much "what" is being done in the classroom, but "how" it's being done.  All the minor details and tricks to being efficient, those are the hardest to do because they work differently for everyone.  And they need to work in such a way that I'm comfortable with sticking to them (lateness, homework not done, etc.).

One thing I do like, however, is that I'll be seeing the same classes everyday for at least a month straight, so I can set up routines and build repore- both things I couldn't do on the short practicum.

Some still say I shouldn't be so be critical but really, I don't mind so much as long as every class I'm doing something slightly better.

Luckily, I've got 11 weeks and that's still a ways to go......

No comments: