Saturday 9 May 2009

T-minus... well... 1 day, really...

First off, I should say that (with thanks to my parents and especially my aunt) I got my JR Rail Pass sorted out. I can now travel on any JR train for free until May 30th. Well, almost any, as the pass does not allow travel on the fastest bullet trains, the Nozomi Shinkansen. Luckily, Nozomi routes are also serviced by other Shinkansen so what I lose in time I gain in money-not-spent.

I should also mention that I was initially a bit bummed about not riding on Nozomi trains since the Nozomi service runs my favourite, 500-series trains. However, it turns out that the Shinkansen services are named after the speed upon which the trains reach (and the number of stops en route) and don't refer to the actual train running that line.

As such, 500-series trains are used on other, non-Nozomi routes and likewise, a Nozomi route doesn't always have a 500-series train running it- any train capable of the required speed runs the route, such as the 300-, 700-, and N700-series trains. And so, if I dig around a little bit, I'm sure I'll be able to find a route that runs a 500-series train and ride it just for the sake of riding it =P...

But I digress... now that I have the pass, I'm free to travel as I like and this week, my schedule includes:

May 10 - The Honda Collection Hall, Twin Ring Motegi, Tochigi [return to Tokyo]
May 11-13 - Hiroshima (Genbaku Dome, Miyajima, Mazda Museum) [return to Tokyo]
May 14-15 - (tentative) Nara [direct to...]
May 15-16 - Nagoya [return to Tokyo]
May 17 - Kawagoe, Saitama [return to Tokyo]
May 18-? - Sapporo

Also, I forgot to mention that last Thursday I visited Mt. Takao. Barely an hour outside of Tokyo, it's popular with hikers and makes for a half-decent day trip. But only if you've done everything else on your list...

Anyway, there are multiple paths up to the peak and, tempted by the chance to see a waterfall, I went up path #6 and came down path #1, the one tourists usually take. Turns out the waterfall is more like a trickle-fall and, on the way down, I got to see the backsides of all the temples on path #1.

In truth, there isn't that much to see. It's not that high and the city's a bit too far to see anything spectacular, as evidenced by the fact that none of my selected pictures include scenery... But the hike itself is rather peaceful, especially the paths less common.

These are neat- stone statuettes all around the mountain. It appears the people living nearby knit hats and such for them in the winter. Aww...

Like at the Meiji-Jingu Shrine, people can write down their wishes on wooden blocks and hang them at the shrine. These, however, look like Japanese geta (sandals)...

I couldn't really tell what these boards were for, but there was a massive wall of them and they appear to be people's names. Perhaps it's a grave listing... or people who've donated to the shrine... or... I dunno heh.....

Be sure to check back soon for updates on the trip! I'll leave you with a few more pictures from Mt. Takao.


No comments: