Thursday 7 May 2009

Your Japanese word of the week is...

tori'i 鳥居 which refers to the wooden gates often found at Japanese shrines. I'm not really sure what the apostrophe is for, but I would presume to get people to say "to-ri-ee" as opposed to "to-ree".... either way.....

In all honesty, the gates themselves are not anything amazing. They are interesting the first time you see them; the neat curve to the upper part (in some designs) and the simplicity of their build. But aside from colour and detailing, they only vary slightly in their design. Although with such a simple basic design, that's to be expected.

However, they are found standing guard in front of many unique sights around Japan. And they are found in interesting places, like in the middle of the water at Miyajima or a massive row of them at the Fushimi Inari shrine.

Anyway, I'll be going to see both of those and probably more as I make my way across Japan. A trip which, despite a slip-up on my part, is looking good to start from the next few days onward.

Til then...

2 comments:

Alan the awesome Sung said...

Looks like you've pakced yourself to the brim with itinerary. Sounds good!

By the way, you're a very accomplished photographer. THe pictures were all VERY beautiful. And your comments on art were funny.

:) And Blogspot is making me type "exemva" to post this. I don't know what exemva is but it sounds like it means business!!!

Lawrence said...

Thanks for the compliment =)

It's nice to hear that other people find the pictures nice...

And what comments about art?? I don't which ones you're talking about =P