Tuesday 1 April 2008

Your Japanese word of the week is...

"okoru" which is to get angry or get upset. I'll tie this in a bit later........

In the meantime, this past Sunday was the Kita-Kitatsushika-Gun Tournament, which is a local, all-style tournament. I lost my kata match to the eventual champion and, after lunch, I was warming up for my kumite match when I saw something that upset me quite a bit........

See, all over the world, there used to be a time when the line between discipline and just plain abuse was a bit hazy, and the world of martial arts used to be the same. However, there's been a big shift away from that and apart from some really dark corners of the martial arts world, it's all but non-existant. And yet, some instructors still seem to believe in it......

I was watching this instructor practice some sparring drills with his two students. And he was pegging one of them in the head so hard that it would snap her head all the way back, and he continued to do so every single time he ran the drill, despite her crying inside her helmet (thank god she had a helmet on). That she looked about 12 years old and was being subjected to rather discouraging words from her teacher didn't help at all.

I'm the first to concede that sparring can hurt. I also know that according to the rules of a kumite match, there are certain requirements of power and control to differentiate between an honest attack and something with no meaning behind it. But when a young student is crying, that's just crossing the line. Even if it was a student old enough and motivated enough to take that verbal and physical abuse, that's just not right. The other important thing is that kumite matches require strength AND control, not only the former.

Which got me thinking, how on earth does this teacher still have students?? I know if I was 10 years old and having such a horrible time that I was crying, I wouldn't want to go back. Or if I was a parent and saw that, I'd pull them out of the class. Karate is, first and foremost, something that should be done for self improvement and for fun, especially for children. Obsessing about strength and winning removes all sense of budo and you essentially become a brawler.

The ironic thing was that, in our adult male division, there was one white belt because there wasn't any other division for him to compete in. Said brutal instructor was pitted against the white belt in the sparring match and he piled on so many warnings for lack of control, he eventually lost the match.

The worst part is that this kind of abusive behavior still happens all over the world. Which was a bit of a sad realisation.

Nevertheless, I had a fun time as did the kids from Arakawa Sensei's dojo. The good thing about local tournaments is that it's a great place to further your skills because the level isn't usually as elevated as, say, regional or national competitions.

But in two days, I start my new job so that'll take up most of my time. I also have to wear a tie everyday........ fantabulous =P haha.....

A couple of Shiramizu kids getting ready for their matches.

About 1/3 of the dojo members in attendance were still around for this final picture. (Courtesy of Arakawa Sensei's blog)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you shoulda gone and kicked the crap outta that bad instructor...

Lawrence said...

Perhaps haha......... but from the way his match went, he looks like he kicked the crap out of himself heh...... and that's worse =P hehe.....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.