Sunday 13 April 2008

Your Japanese word of the week is...

"kashish" which is the word "cassis" translated into katakana. Cassis itself is actually a French word which English speakers know better as blackcurrant. Blackcurrant, at least for me anyway, is better known as those delicious candies in Mentos-esque purple tubes I used to eat in Hong Kong (or buy from Chinese supermarkets).

I bring this up because, on a grander scheme of things, katakana really is a double edged sword I find. For starters, I understand the need for a purely phonetic pronunciation alphabet in a syllabic language. It happens in Chinese newspapers, for instance, where characters are used for their sounds rather than their meanings.

But then again, to people who speak that foreign language, it really doesn't make any sense sometimes. Or worse, it just flat out sounds like something else.......

I'm sure most of your recognize the "Calpis" name. For those of you who don't, Calpis is, according to their website (where I got the logo [in case they sue me hah]), a "cultured milk drink" that has a distinctly yogurty taste to it. If you've ever have those "Yee Lik Doh" yogurt drinks, it's sort of like that but less thick. Actually, Japan has those small plastic bottles as well, sold here as "Yakult".

You also might be able to guess that the word "calpis" just generates lots of giggles........... hee hee "cow piss" hee hee..........

In the picture, above the word itself is their new slogan, "karada ni piisu". "Karada" is body, "ni" is in, and "piisu" is peace. So, "peace of body" or "peace in the body". Anyhow, it's certainly a nice idea.........

The only problem is that it isn't any stretch of imagination to read it in another way. In English, the spelling differentiates the meanings, but when it's written purely based on phonetics, it opens up lots of different ways of reading the word. Like the "piisu" sound...... or "kashish", which sounds a lot like "hashish". Imagine ordering that at a restaurant. You get my drift.... =P

Which is too bad, because the drink is quite tasty....... especially Calpis Soda, which is a carbonated form of the drink. Urinary jokes aside, it's quite good.....

Speaking of bodily functions, I've semi-confirmed my curriculum for my students this year.

For math, the 1st year student (or Gr 10) will be doing stuff like rational numbers, polynomials, equation solving, and trig. The 2nd year students will be working on algebra, so more equation solving, factoring, quadratics, exponents and log functions, conics, etc. That'll stretch through to their 3rd year.

In science, because all three students are soccer athletes, they're quite interested in anatomy and physiology for futures in kinesiology (or being a soccer pro), so the 1st year curriculum will be about body systems while the 2nd year curriculum will go into more depth about bones and muscles (composition, mechanism of action, naming) as well as going into the human body with more detail. Sort of like high school bio but with more focus towards certain areas.

Lastly, I'll be leading them through history, which will be World War II. Depending on their interest and how fast we get through the major events of it, we'll move on to latter century events like the start of the Cold War, the Korean War, the Vietnam War......... they're kids so conflicts seem to interest them heh.....

I have textbooks on order for all but the history subjects, so once those come in, it's full steam ahead.

So that's it. Last week was a nice slow start to the school year (I taught two classes out of my scheduled 16 per week) but starting Monday, everyone settles into the schedule and pushes on through the year............ thumbs up on that =P.......

10 comments:

Unknown said...

so in Japanese WWII history - are the Japanese the bad guys or the good guys??

Lawrence said...

Haha..... I really have no idea. I make the curriculum myself so it's not set what or how we study it =P heh....

But I'm actually reading a book recommended to me called Tokyo Underground. It talks about the Tokyo underworld from WWII onwards.

You can kind of get a feel for the general emotions that run through the country.

But that's a good point. I think I'll (diplomatically) ask around, see if I can find anything about it haha...... =P

Anonymous said...

WW2 was boring and hard, especially that anne frank book which we read and was boring. triangles and quadratics is really boring right now too. especially triangles. (just saying) how many kids do you teach anyway?

Geoffrey

Unknown said...

how do people react over there when you start talking about pearl harbor?

Lawrence said...

Geoff- Well, I can't do much about making math fun aside from trying to be a good teacher about it.

But I don't see how WWII could be boring haha.....

It's all about war plans and battles and planes and guns and bombs and betrayal and Blitzkriegs and underdogs and D-Day and snipers and stuff.....

I think working it through an Anne Frank novel may not be the most interesting method, but WWII is by no means boring =)

Steve- I dunno hahaha...... I haven't asked anyone. I would suspect, considering how successful Pearl Harbour and all the other attacks they launched at the same time were, they might be sort of proud about it?? I dunno haha...... It might be the same way Germans feel. They tried to accomplish something they felt was justified but it didn't work out?? I dunno heh.... I'll definitely find out for you though heh....

Anonymous said...

In case you don't know yet, "Yee Lik Doh" yogurt drinks IS "Yakult", the original drink with probiotic (bacteria), it is a hit thing now for health food, people are even planning to put probiotic in infant formula too!!

I guess the reason you do not know that they are the same, because there are many imitations in Chinese supermarket, so they are not the real original thing and hence look different.

Dad

Unknown said...

Germany - history is taught a little different though. they are taught that the Nazi's were the evil ones, and that it's the top leadership committing the attrocities. all the german troops were just fighting for their country though.

the japanese are different - in that it's essentially the same gov't in power (minus the democracy), but the emperor is still there - albeit more of a figurehead. but there are still many old thinkers who still hold a lot of power.

the nazi's on the otherhand were ousted from power after the war, the current gov't has NO ties with the Nazi's.

Anonymous said...

yes, you see i didnt really get to learn about snipers and bombers and dogfights and stuff but if i did that wouldve been a bit more fun than anne frank.


Geoffrey
o yea and are you in japan mid-late july?

Lawrence said...

I most certainly am. Try to see if you can get some time off during your trip or come early/stay late. You can come train at my sensei's place and we can hang out a bit.

I'm going back to Vancouver in August, so no worries. =)

Lawrence said...

Sorry, I wrote this comment before but I found a mistake.... anyways...

Dad- No, I knew Yakult is the same thing heh..... when I meant "Japan has the same thing here", I meant, like, identical heh...... just the name is slightly different =)

Gars- You're right, it's not really fair to compare Japan and Germany thinking on the basis that "they lost".

And you're right that there's a lot of "old boys" still around..... I found out that they barely teach WWII in Japanese classes. It happened, they moved on......

Either way, we'll start through it and see where we end up heh....