Tuesday 8 April 2008

Your Japanese word of the week is...

"okiru" which means, to wake up. That's been pretty much the biggest thing on my mind lately....... getting up on time.

I started my new job at a private high school in Tokyo last Friday and, so far anyway, it's been quite a breeze. I'm mainly in charge of teaching the international exchange students (of which there are three, since the program only started 3 years ago) their biology, math, and history. Extra time I have allows me to do things like help out with the regular English classes as well as help with the English club and the karate club.

Ultimately, the past few days have just been prepping the lessons (a month's worth of which the last teacher so kindly set up for me) while the students slowly get into the groove of things. I'm constantly forgetting that I'm a teacher because, not that long ago, kids of this age (this is a senior high school, so Canadian grades 10-12) would've been my friend.

The other thing I forget is that everyone still thinks I'm Japanese. So as I'm walking through the halls or greeting students at the gate in the morning with "Hello"s and "Good Morning"s, they all do a double take............ good fun =).......

Oh yeah, so what's this about getting up?? Yeah, I have to be at my desk at 8am. Which means I catch the train at 6:57am from my station. Which means I get up at 6am..........

Luckily, Japan doesn't do daylight saving time, so while it doesn't set at 9:30pm like it does in Vancouver, it's up by 5:30am. It was annoying last year when I didn't have to get up, but now, it's rather helpful.........

Stay tuned for more high school adventure stories =P............

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

there's teachers at my school who are just as old/younger than you. all of them try to actually become enemies with us so we're not their friends. maybe you should try it out :P


Geoffrey

Lawrence said...

.............. why would you WANT to be someone's enemy?? haha....

I do suppose that being "too friendly" is never good, since you need that bit of authority when you need it.

But otherwise, it's just so much easier to be someone fun haha....

I'm aiming to be someone they respect- someone they'd like to be around or talk to, but one who they'd still recognize as authorative....

So far, I just answer questions everyday about whether I'm Japanese or not haha.....