Wednesday 30 April 2008

Your Japanese word of the week is...

not a word........ it's a phrase.

"osoku narimashita", which means "I'm late".

Well, not exactly............. Let me break it down for you.

"osoku" derives from "osoi" which can mean either late or slow. Lopping off the last syllable and changing it to "osoku" transforms it from an adjective to an adverb. Similarly, "hayai" (fast or early) becomes "hayaku". And "sugoi" -> "sugoku", and so on and so forth.

"narimashita" is the past tense form of the verb "naru", which means to become or to turn out.

In otherwords, "osoku narimashita" means "(it) turned out/came into being late". It's often used as a polite way of saying "I'm late".

What am I late for, you ask? I meant to write this post earlier this week but I've been relishing my time off that I completely forgot.

To get you guys up to speed, last week I met an old UBC friend whom I haven't seen for nearly 5 years. He also practices karate (but a different style) and is currently helping coach the BC Karate Team. He came to Japan for some vacation and, conveniently being friends with Richard Sensei, I managed to make it out to see him.

This week is also Golden Week in Japan, where many people get some time off, especially students. I get May 3-6 off (yes, my Golden Week isn't a week long heh) and I'll be going to visit Peter in Fukushima from the 3rd to the 4th.

So who knows what kind of trouble I'll get myself into there haha........ Stay tuned to find out heh....

9 comments:

Unknown said...

who's the old friend?

Lawrence said...

Have you ever met Andrew Ahlsten??

You might've. White guy, about your height, blond hair, big smile, really outgoing, kinda raspy voice (in a cool way)...

Anonymous said...

i want a golden week right now

Geoffrey

Lawrence said...

You get spring break, we don't. Same thing =)

And don't forget, you get two months of summer vacation, students here don't. Many study right through July.

And many students attend class 6 days a week with club activities on sundays.

So, in the grand scheme of things, they sort of deserve their 4-day Golden Week =).....

Anonymous said...

well, actually we have more than 2 months, but yeah then, i guess they deserve their golden week

Geoffrey

Unknown said...

i remember him - that's who i thought it was, but i couldn't quite remember his name. i could picture him clearly (you never really quite forget what Andrew)...

small world man.

Lawrence said...

I ended up spending nearly 2.5 days hanging out with him in Tokyo haha.......

See the next post heh.....

Anonymous said...

osoku narimashita in keeping up with your blog. Been working like crazy since we came back from Turkey. Am behind/ late for all things non-work-related.

Hope you enjoyed your Golden Week. We had a nice visit with Karen.

Will look forward to reading more...

-A

Lawrence said...

Sorry I added this massive 3-part post in the midst of your catching up haha......

Feel free to take your time or just look a the pictures or something heh.....

Nice to hear you had a safe trip too.....