Tuesday 17 July 2007

Natural disasters-R-Us....

Hello from Japan!!

It's actually my 4th day here, but I've been so busy I haven't had time to update the blog. But it will probably happen more than once a week once I settle in.

The flight over was pretty good. There was a typhoon when I landed so that was mildly exciting. And the day after the typhoon cleared up, a massive earthquake hit. So maybe Mother Nature's out to get me, but she hasn't been that successful yet. But hey, what a way to experience Japan heh =).

I also met Paul, whom I'm taking over the internship for and we've been working and hanging out together. He's a pretty cool guy, which is good since we'll be doing almost everything together for the next week or so. Except dates with his girlfriend; those he goes alone =P heh....

I saw the Asakusa temple in Tokyo (with one of the largest lanterns in Japan) as well as Tokyo Tower on Monday (today is Wednesday, despite what the title says). That's Paul in front of the Asakusa Temple entrance.

I've also trained at Arakawa sensei's (my sponsor sensei) dojo three times already (M, T, W) and I don't think I've ever worked as hard or had as much fun (Sorry Graeme and Marta haha). I'm trying really hard to gain their respect and build a repore and in some ways it's happening really quickly while in other ways, it's a bit slower. But the training is more intense it seems, even if it's just the way the dojo traps heat and forces you to sweat. My karate notebook is filling up fast though (about a page a day so far), and that's always a good thing.

Aside from that, it's just a lot of wandering around and learning the city. People tend to think I'm Japanese which is fine until they talk to me, at which point the blank stare and English from my mouth garners a look of mixed shock, surprise, and confusion. Yay!

I'm picking up a lot of Japanese though. I try to practice with my home stay sponsor (Matsuda sensei) as well as all the others I'm in contact with. I hope to be at least fluent conversationally by the time I come back since I'm pretty sure learning the Kanji would take a lot longer.

Lastly, I've only helped teach one English class so far, but it's quite fun with those little kids. They are unbelievably energetic, maybe moreso than Canadian kids. Similar penchant for destruction and random running-around-ness too. Well, the guys anyway. The girls, as you might expect from stereotyped Japanese culture, are mature beyond their years.

The culture shock isn't too bad either, aside from never seeing cars that almost run me over cuz I look the wrong way. A lot of is is politeness, respect, and common sense taken to the max. Paul (a bonafide white guy from Kelowna) thinks it's the best thing in the world. But it's not perfect all the time as work and convenience takes precedence over a lot of things. Running on to the train to grab a seat from an old lady, for instance. So, it's a bit odd. Almost as if it's ok as long as no one is looking. I'll decide for myself in a few months time. Oh, and people still use those nose/mouth SARS masks. I see about one or two a day and I'm temped to call it a fashion statement since you never know what these crazy Japanese will wear heh. Actually, it's probably more for pollution, though being in a small city, the air is pretty clean.

Anyway, since they let me set up an account at the cafe, I can update more regularly. I'll try to find a way to upload pictures too, though it might be a while until I decipher the Japanese.

And there are some wicked cars here. Stuff I've only seen in magazines and videos. They may be an old hat to these people but it's all new to me.Lastly (seriously), I went to lunch today with Paul, Arakawa sensei, and 3 other really nice black belts from his dojo. The skinniest guy there ate two plates of rice, as did one of the girls I think. Yet they're both very slim. Strong from training, but slim. Just goes to show that it's not about WHAT you eat, it's what you do with it.

Take that low-carb diet......... =)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Actually, the Japanese has started using the "SARS mouth mask" long before SARS was "invented". They wore those to prevent the spreading of germs. It is always the person with the cold/ flu who would wear the mask. It goes along with respect and concern for others.

Sometimes I think they also wear it when it's really cold in the winter (maybe, or maybe that's China)

Unknown said...

Hey maybe you can find an underground racing/drifting league like in Tokyo Drift! The race the bad guy down the side of a mountain.

I hear the japanese are really... repressed people resulting in those bawdy houses all over town. Is it true?

debugpnk said...

sounds like you're having a good time over there :)

i remember when i was in japan and people thought i was japanese then they'd speak to me in jap and yes, "the blank stare and English from my mouth garners a look of mixed shock, surprise, and confusion" haha

hehe and agree completely with the low carb thing! but lots of people there are slim. and when i was there last i lost like 5-10 lbs even tho i ate sooo much! but i also walked a lot. i think the trad jap diet is maybe healthier... and rice doesn't make you fat!

Lawrence said...

Jeanne- Actually, you're right about the SARS masks. I just found out about those yesterday haha.... maybe I should get one just to fit in =P heh j/k....

Steve- If there is an underground racing league, trust me when I say I will find it haha..... but yeah, they are a bit repressed in emotional expression not to mention that there isn't much space for people since it's common for people to live with their parents until they get married.

So yeah..... "love hotels".... rooms for rent by the hour haha =)

Sarah- Yeah, everyone here bikes and walks, so it's the healthier way they get around. So yay for weigth loss heh....