Sunday 1 July 2007

... 13 days... 12 days...

Speaking of days, Happy Canada Day!! Of course, Canada Day also means I'm that much closer to leaving, which is slowly starting to sink in. Mostly in the form of an extremely packed schedule of things to do before I go.

But, on the other hand, I've done pretty much all the things I needed since my last post. Things like my visa, airfare, clothing. Still haven't done presents yet but those don't take as long.

I also met a very kind and generous Mark Taylor who set up Shiramizu internship two years ago and was thus the first one to do it. We chatted for quite a bit and he gave me some suggestions on how to prepare as well as an idea of what to expect. Although at some points, we both agreed that it's more fun to not tell me so I can experience what it's like to jump in the deep end and fend for myself.

He (as well as Richard sensei) mentioned that the third month is the hardest. The first apparently feels much like a vacation since it's so new. The second is when it starts to hit you that, hey wait, I really don't understand anything around me, and that gets a bit overwhelming. And by the third, it's getting pretty rough since you start pining for things at home as the overwhelming-ness becomes over-overwhelming. But, apparently, after the third month, it's easy as I get into the groove of things and make friends and such.

The other thing too is I'm not sure how often I can update this, but keep checking back as I want to maintain a weekly posting schedule. I'll have lots of pictures (unlike this bland past few posts) and lots of stories, so hopefully this'll work out. But please still leave lots of comments. It's rather fun to read and reply to them.

Oh, and one more thing. I hit a coyote last night- it ran out from behind a parked car about 2 feet in front of me. That was exciting in an OMGWTF kind of way... those crazy coyotes and their poor decision making...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

FIRST FIRST FIRST... ftw.

Anonymous said...

omg, did you kill it? did it leave a dent? did it leave a present for Garson? lol

Lawrence said...

I thought I told you the story already?? haha......

No I didn't kill it. At least, not right away since there was no body when I turned around.

No, it didn't leave a dent. But it did crack the lip spoiler which I artfully realigned and touched up so now it looks like (almost) nothing happened.

And about the only thing it left was canine fur, since I'm not really sure if it was a coyote or a dog. All I saw were two triangular ears and then "thump"....

Lastly, yes Alan, you were first. Good work =).

Unknown said...

=\ i'd be so freaked out if that happened to me~ i'm just glad i've never caused any road kill before *touchwood* hehe....

Lawrence said...

Hmm......... technically, since there was no body, I didn't actually kill it hehe......

But I did road-wound I suppose =P...

Besides, the car's sold now, so if it's going to take revenge, it won't be on me hehe...... (sorry Garson haha)...

Anonymous said...

ur selling ur car!?!?!?!? o well, i can still ride in garrick's, he has the same one as urs





Geoffrey

Lawrence said...

It's actually sold already =P....

But that's ok, I'll just get something faster when I get back muahaha =D...

Anonymous said...

cool, get uhh... uhhhh... hmm how much money did u get? buy a fast, black car with spoilers and blue neon lights on the bottom and around the license plate and a car that can park itself like that umm, what was that car that can park itself?

Sungerton said...

the parkinator 2000.

marikoteachesenglish said...

coyotes don't really think about cars speeding down the street.
How fast were you going? It's strange how some animals pick moments to be dumb. Speaking of which, Dock bumped into the doorframe when he thought I was holding a treat for him.... *shakes head*

Lawrence said...

Aside from the "parkinator", the LS460 also parks itself.

And yes, I'll probably get something fast as long as I can afford it haha...... no neon though.

As for the coyote, I was doing about 35-40kmh. Not that fast; it was just a residential street. I could stopped if it was any further out.

But yeah, who knows what animals think. It probably went something like:

food, food, water, food, sleep, food, scavenge, OHHH BRIGHT HEAD LIGHTS LETS RUN INTO IT, food, OW!!!

................. maybe haha....