Thursday 6 September 2007

"Bring The Rain!"...

Yeah, it sounded pretty wicked in Transformers when Tyrese Gibson shouts that into the phone and then the AC-130 Spectre gunship comes in and blasts the living electrons out of Scorponok. I remember my permanently immature brain shouting "OMG!! THAT'S SO COOOOOLLLL!!!!!!". It was, in my opinion, probably the best scene in the movie. Even better than when Bumblebee turned into the concept Camaro. Of interesting note is that the only Chevy versions of that car that are around don't actually run, being a show car. So they commissioned Saleen Inc. (known for their Ford tuning abilities and builders of the Saleen S281E Mustang in the movie, aka Barricade) to build them a working version. They converted a Pontiac GTO from the ground up to a fully functional 2009 concept Camaro in 30 days. That's impressive.

But when Japan brings the rain, it's nowhere near as cool. At this time of year, the rain is usually brought by means of typhoon (in Japanese, it's taifuu). Torrential downpours and winds tend to make life very difficult; trains stop running, streets flood, buildings sway, clothes get soaked, and umbrellas tend not to be effective against rain that falls sideways.

But luckily, those treacherous winds also mean the typhoon moves rather quickly and this one has been moving prefectures by the day. So by now, it off harassing other poor locals in Tochigi or something by now, just north of Saitama, where I am.

So, I made it through unscathed. The only casualty was my cheapest pair of dress pants, but that's nothing a bit of dry cleaning won't fix. Even better than that is that mid-September is coming up, which means fall is arriving and, soon after that, my first Japanese karate competition! "Bring The Rain" indeed......

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, that is the kind of rain you get in tropical places like Hong Kong and South East Asia. That is why they have the so called "beneath the balcony", where people just take shelter for a few minutes until the rain is over. There is almost no point to carry the umbrella as there are many "balconies" in Hong Kong. But you just have to stop moving. That is a break for the busy people too.

Lawrence said...

Yeah, but the rain just never stopped at all last week then the typhoon hit =)....... oh well, it's over now, but the weather gets horridly humid after the typhoon....

Anonymous said...

Hey Lawrence, I just read all your blogs since I finally have time and actually saw you could comment. I didn't know you could talk like this, on here. I did write you some emails but this is way cooler! How are you? Were you talking about yourself re the 2 day hangover???
I miss you, but you are doing so well and it sounds like you are becoming Chipanese! Haha
How did your first competition go?
Are you making enough money now?
We have our first class this Tues. and it will seem a little strange without you. We had a meet the Karate club table at the Church after the service today and I think I may have recruited 3 more members. There is a strike on still and all the community centres are closed due to it and that may help us sign up more students.
Take care and I will read and write more often.
I was doing a power washing/painting business this summer to make money with the Karate class not going.
My ankle feels better and I am anxious to train again.
We will train hard and make you proud of us and we are proud of you.
Good night, and let the salamander in, he won't hurt you or walk on your face. His name is Harry, by the way. Be good to him, he will ear all your bugs.
xoxo Marta

Anonymous said...

Hey Lawrence, I leave you alone for a year and you take off! That's great to hear that you're actually doing something other than be a bum at Lexus ;oP. I'm not really commenting on your post so much as I'm saying hi. So... hi. Jasmine

Anonymous said...

i know you want something for xmas, like your friend said, bioshock is a great game. you want something. a game? book? something?

Lawrence said...

Marta- Glad to hear you doing well! I haven't competed in anything yet but come Sept 30th I will. It's good to know the club is doing well and hopefully I'll be able to bring back lots of new ideas and methods.... next year haha.......

Jas!!- Long time eh?? haha.... yeah, sorry I didn't let you know, but I'm officially NOT a lifer at Lexus so that's always good heh.

Geof- Right now, I'm good heh.... I'll think about it though!