Tuesday 18 September 2007

Hallo. My name is...

"ryuu". According to one of the teachers in my Japanese class, my last name (the Chinese character for it) is pronounced "ryuu". In case you read Richard sensei's comment, it is indeed the same pronunciation as the Japanese word for dragon. Unfortunately, my name doesn't exist in the dictionary whilst "dragon" does, which can only lead me to the perhaps obvious observation that my name doesn't mean dragon at all.

What it means, I have no idea. Equally apparent is that the middle chinese character is pronounced "ritsu". In Japanese, it means to stand, although the pronunciation varies since Japanese kanji has two pronunciations, depending on whether their written singularly or paired up with other kanji. Confusing, no??

The last character no one recognized but someone deftly translated the Cantonese pronunciation of "kay" to "kii".

That makes my name "ryuu ritsu kii". Just thought you'd like to know =).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi ryuu ritsu kii

Try to say Dragon and Liang at the same time in Cantonese, they sound similar! I guess that is why they use the same word. For the last character, try to show them the one without the side (i.e the right side only), they may recognize it. There may be a Kanji version of it. It will sound the same anyway. Hope that can make you find a more meaningful translation for your name. It is not bad to be a DRAGON!

Anonymous said...

ryuu....isn't that the same name as one of the street fighters??

Lawrence said...

Yes, yes it is Louise..... thanks haha....

As for my name, I'll keep checking around. But I had my english name (in katakana) sewn onto my dogi so I'm in no rush heh.....

Richard Mosdell said...

Put the kanji up.
Then we can look into what it means.
Richard

Lawrence said...

I don't know how hahaha........

I was told today that ryuu is only one of the pronunciations and it means a column or central column that holds up a building.

Which sort of makes it fitting my second character meants to stand =).

I looked up column in the dictionary and it wasn't there, so I'll have to figure out how to write kanji on the computer hehe...

Anonymous said...

Hey, if ryuu means "the beam", that is exactly what your last name means. Liang has the same sound as "the beam of the house" which is written with the "wood side". I guess that is better translation than the dragon. You are the beam, the support of the house. How nice!