Tuesday 11 September 2007

Your Japanese word of the week is...

"oshare". It means to be "fashion conscious". As you can gather from my post a while ago, it's not so bad to be considered "oshare". Although, really, my consciousness is usually dominated by other thoughts.

Such as the fact that I forgot my lizard friend is not a lizard at all. It was brought to my attention that he's a salamander. So colour me wrong- Sorry! haha........... also, he still has yet to have a name. Suggestions such as Koopa and Harry are nice, so maybe throw a few more and I'll pick the best one. He is, by the way, still there, and still outside heh........

The other thought is how mentally strenuous is it to be in a foreign country. I never noticed it until someone pointed it out to me that it's a lot of freakin' work trying to make sense of a new language and you end up mentally exhausted at the end of each day. The amount of processing you have to do even for the simplest tasks makes it pretty rough. It's not so bad in the first month because a lot of people are looking after you and there's still the novelty of it all. But after a while, doing even the most mundane things is a pain. Like getting a haircut, which I managed to successfully do without coming out looking like a palm tree. Although that could be considered "oshare" in this country.............. hmm heh........

To go with the mental exhaustion is physical exhaustion as I prepare for competition. I still feel I'm quite far away from competitive level, but there's no better barometer than to actually try. The first one is set for Sept 30th, the next is Oct 21st, then one more on Nov 3rd. I was actually just informed I was enter in men's team kumite for the Nov 3rd one about 30 min ago, so....... yay!

But in no way is this post supposed to suggest that I'm disliking where I am. On the contrary, it makes every day a challenge and every night a reward for having faced it. That would make next year a culmination of 365 nights worth of reward. And that's good for a whole life time of reminiscing...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well... not to mention the mental exhaustion from trying to decipher my comments all the time.

September30th is still a ways off. You'll be prepared by the time it comes. I know you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, maybe name your salamander friend Salad? Or Bagel-Pop?

Richard Mosdell said...

Law-san!

A new nickname for you yourself - sounds like the Laoson convenie's you see everywhere here in Jpn!

My nickname suggestion for the little salamander is...
Ryo-kun! Pronounced ' lyo-kun'.
Ryo means dragon, but -kun means 'little mister' or 'little master', and is always used when speaking to only young boys, or boys younger than yourself in your same 'group' of whatever.
So Ryo-kun would 'little master dragon' since he's not such a big, firebreathing fella... yet...

... who knows, with Cdn raw meat sleeping nearby, that might be just the nurishment he needs to put on some size...

Richard Mosdell said...

Sorry, spelling error...
That's Ryu-kun, not Ryo-kun...

Anonymous said...

i know you want something for xmas just say it. anyway i think im coming to okinawa next july sometime for karate training/budosai maybe before you go back to canada you can go to okinawa too. probably involves your style too.

Geoffrey

Lawrence said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lawrence said...

Uhhh.............. oops haha... I pushed something wrong above haha....

Anyways, perhaps that training might involve Wado-Ryu senseis, although Wado didn't originate in Okinawa whilst the other 3 JKF styles did.

But aside from all that, I'd love to visit Okinawa. Although it's hard to find time and money to travel somewhere that far =).

Anonymous said...

u have a salamander??? cool....though i did disect a salamander at ubc but who cares!! i need to see pics....by the way i just noticed that i'm leaving comments as i'm reading your blog from the most recent dates to previous ones....