Sunday 30 September 2007

Your Japanese word of the week is...

"taikai". It means competition or tournament. A "senshu" is an athlete or competitor. Note that "senshuu" is a completely different word meaning "last week". So take heed in that if you hear someone drag out that last "u" sound a bit, you've missed the taikai rather than having a chance at competing =).
Ueno-san, me, and Yuu

Jokes aside, this Tobu Taikai (Tobu meaning East, as in Eastern Saitama) was my first Japanese competition and indeed, first competition in a long time. The heavy rain couldn't keep dojos all over from coming out and there were lots of very good competition.

It was a pretty great experience although that's not what I could say about the results. Regardless, I was pretty happy with my performance, especially in kumite where final score was close enough that I thought I did better than I expected. I won't go as far as to say I could have won, but I think I could have won. Although in could've-would've-should've land, anything is possible, but results are the only things that matter.

The best part was that losing is by no means discouraging. I walked away from the ring unscathed, aside from a really sore left side of my jaw where I took a good punch, and eager to train more and improve my standings next time (on the 21st, for the Sugito City competition). I don't have such grandiose images of winning everything though, as progress is my only goal. There will be lots more opportunities to test my mettle and the results will come on its own.

The dojo on a whole, however, did very well- Shiramizu students placed or won their category often. Particularly exciting were the elementary and high school boys team kumite, which Shiramizu took top honours in.

At night, there was a party to celebrate both the good work done at the competition (Shiramizu senseis and staff all contributed is some form either as refs, volunteers, managers, competitor support staff, etc.) and, more important, to celebrate Hachizuka sensei, Iwazaki sensei, Yamazaki sensei, and Yoshiwara sensei's recently attained 3rd degree black belt standing. The night was full of speeches and good times, no doubt partly due to the "all you can drink" feature at the restaurant.

All in all though, and excellent first time out I thought, and I can only hope I have better things to say about the results next time haha.......

Shiramizu's Mikiya Kikuchi (red gloves) scoring a point in the high school boys team kumite match.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you would post more pictures of yourself.

I am starting to forget what you look like.

Anonymous said...

Yes, really want to see more of your pictures. Also try to use the "sport" scene selection on your camera to capture the action.

Anonymous said...

Pappa Liang agrees.

Alan is so smart...

Hey, when you were typing "kumite" did you think of BLOOD SPPPOOORRRRTTTTTTTT!!!!!!

i did.

karen said...

i see dad figured out how to post comments.

weeee congrats on getting through your first competition!

Anonymous said...

hey i just thought of it. last month i got this cool 50 min video of diff styles of karate and its on history channel and its about these 2 football players who do different styles and try to compete a black belt in kumite and it was 2 bux. my karate teacher was selling it because it has our grand master sensei in it and its really cool how about i get a copy of it for you for xmas?

Lawrence said...

There aren't many pictures of me mostly because I take all the pictures =).....

As for forgetting my face....... that's ok =)..... at least you still remember who I am =).....

And Geoff, that video sounds interesting....... is there somewhere I can look at some details about what's in it?? Amazon maybe?? haha

Lawrence said...

Also, I did use the sport setting on the camera but really, the fighters move way to fast and cover way too much distance to really get something good out of it.

Not to mention having to anticipate all the movements since there's a delay while processing. I came away with maybe 5 good pictures out of 20+...

But I'll keep trying =)....

Anonymous said...

i already got you the video my dad will bring it over in november. its funny and its really interesting and its some tv show called human weapon and in this episode it was about karate so yeah. as you watch it my sensei's sensei is in it and he just graduated to 10th dan so in the video it says 9th and we have all those conditioning equipment like shishis and kongo ken or something in my dojo too.
Geoff

Anonymous said...

I think I forgot how you look like as well RAWRENCE. I thought that was you getting knocked in the head... ouchy mama.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving and maybe you can get turkey sashimi to celebrate :)

Hope you're doing well and I'll start posting more often.

Lawrence said...

No garrett haha..... that's not me. Try as I might, I don't count as a junior high school student haha...