Sunday 2 September 2007

Your Japanese word of the week is...

"futsukayoi". Translated literally is means "two days drunk". For those of you really on the ball, you probably have already figured out that it means a hangover. Of course, a hangover and being drunk aren't exactly the same so if you do actually find yourself still drunk the second day, might I suggest that rather than traipsing around your house (or whatever area you wake up in) declaring your newfound Japanese knowledge, you admit yourself to a hospital instead. Preventing alcohol posioning is more important than being bilingual I would think.........

What is also important, I've found, is to make sure the windows or bug screens are shut properly at night. But it's not a preventative measure against the bugs though, since their onslaught has since subsided with the rather sudden drop in temperature (25 degrees is cool if you compare it to 39). What it is useful for is keeping me from having to kill my new friend.

This is the lizard that lives on my door. Strange as it sounds, amphibians really aren't a surprise considering the climate, the abundant insect food, and the small river that flows through the town (and behind the house).

The unspoken (well, it would have to be, wouldn't it?? haha) relationship that I've imposed on him (her.... I don't know heh) is that as long as he stays on the outside part of the glass, he can be my friend. As the idea of his webbed feet crawling on my face as I sleep isn't very appealing, I afraid I will have to be mean to him should he ever come inside. I suppose I could catch him and put him back outside, but again, the communication barrier means he would try to run away and I would have to chase him. I really have better things to do with my time.

But, for now, he's upholding his end of the bargain so life goes on- figuratively and literally, in his case. Although the predicament I have now is what to call him. So feel free to suggest some names for Mr. Non-English-Speaking-Lizard-On-My-Door. And please don't say N.E.S.L.O.M.D. as that's just lazy haha........... although, it is interesting.

Anyways, suggest away and I'll pick a name later this week. Thanks! =)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha cool, a lizard. a bunch of them run around INSIDE my grandmas house in hk but they eat all the bugs that come inside.

BTW what do you want for xmas? your dad and my dad are coming to visit you in nov and are gonna give you family xmas presents.

Geoffrey

Lawrence said...

Wow, that's awfully nice of them. I don't really have anything on my mind right now, but if I think of anything, I'll let you know =).

Unknown said...

Koopa, that's what I'd call it.

btw, there are so many cool games coming out this year. I just bought Bioshock, spent a good 7 hrs playing it already.

Anonymous said...

Hi. It's Adrian

Lawrence said...

Thanks Adrian for the world's most unproductive post haha....... I hope there'll be more =P...

Well, so far, the only suggestion is Koopa, sooo.... that might be it heh.....

Unknown said...

Hi Lawrence!
As a future biology teacher, and girlfriend of a really cool nerd, I have to say this:
DID YOU KNOW-- your friend is likely to be a salamander rather than a lizard. Salamander is an amphibian (no scales, and lay eggs in the water), while lizards implies reptiles that have scales, which are quite rare in Japan.

Hehe, so I see that you have ambivalent empathy towards this amphibian...so maybe you should name it "Ambiphi" (sounds like empathy...which is kinda like what friends are for!)

Lawrence said...

Thank you haha......... you're right in that he probably is a salamander..... maybe that's why he doesn't bother coming inside- I hurt his feelings heh....